Monday, March 23, 2009

Lab 8 First movie project workflow

Today I decided to record my work flow of editing short movies. (I decided to do a lot of things, but just didn't have enough enthusiasm) This time I'm going to start doing it now by archiving my past work flows. (Starting from the very first)



(1) 'The video of 0609'
Sophomore year
A short movie about my class, 0609.
Equipment - Sony handy-cam tape USB interface, Panasonic camcorder tape 1394 interface a little flashlight in front, IBM laptop 256MB RAM, Premiere Pro 2.0, Windows Movie Maker

Work flow outline - [SHOOTING and PLANNING] -> [LEARN to use Premiere Pro 2.0] -> [IMPORT in full length] -> [CUT and ORGANIZE within Premiere Pro 2.0] -> [EDIT] -> [SHOOT extra footage] -> [EDIT] -> [EXPORT]

  1. Plan to have four chapters in this movie, Basketball, Learning, Music and Skateboard.
  2. two Cams, two shooter. Tell them to shoot as much as they can and don't worry about wasting tapes. I shot some as well.
  3. Went to hunt for a decent video-editing software. The shop-keeper recommended Premiere Pro 2.0 to me. Spent a long time installing it on my old IBM laptop.
  4. Went online for video tutorials on Premiere Pro 2.0. Soon had a basic sense of want Premiere Pro 2.0 can do. During this time formulated a more solid time line for the movie.
  5. Imported the footage via Windows Movie Maker's Capture function (I didn't know that Pr could capture footage). the footage was imported to its full length.
  6. Import footage into Pr. Put the full-length clips in one huge time line. Cut out segments of good footage and rename the portion in the time line. (Weird way of organizing, huh?) Made more time lines for categorizing these scattered footage. Moved footage to different time lines.
  7. Start editing by dragging the portions into a main time line.
  8. Had some more ideas during edit and shot the extra footage.
  9. Continue to edit.
  10. Export. OMG that was the most painful part. It took 5 or 6 hours for a 20-minute movie to be rendered out as I recall. What's more because of my lack of professional knowledge and experience I couldn't choose the right format, codec and dimensions. So I ended up rendering 4 or 5 times.

No comments:

Post a Comment